ANKLE SPRAIN – MEDIAL / LATERAL
Gold Coast Ankle Sprain Treatment
Ankle Sprain Treatment
Have you had an ankle sprain or do they keep re-occuring. Ankle Sprains are one of the most common sporting injuries. A sprain is the tearing of the ligament/s that connect the ankle bones together. Following a sprain, the ankle joint may become unstable.
Book an appointment today at one of our gold coast clinics so you can get back on your feet and enjoy the things you love.
In fact, it’s estimated that 1 in 17 high school athletes will suffer an ankle sprain per season.
What Is An Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprains are one of the most common sporting injuries. A sprain is the tearing of the ligament/s that connect the ankle bones together. Following a sprain, the ankle joint may become unstable as the main job of a ligament is to stabilise the joint. Due to a lack of blood flow they may take a long time to recover. Most ankle sprains heal within 2-6 weeks; however severe sprains may take as long as 12 weeks.
- Previous or existing ankle injury if poorly rehabilitated (biggest risk factor)
- Lack of strength and stability to ankle
- Sports requiring jumping, turning and twisting movements eg. Netball
- Lack of or extreme flexibility
- Poor balance
- Sudden change in direction
- Inappropriate footwear
- Inadequate warm up or playing surface.
Signs & Symptoms
- Swelling of ankle
- May be audible popping noise
- Pain (if tendons are ruptured there maybe no pain)
- Discolouration / brusing
- Feeling of instability
Preventing Ankle Sprains
- Gradual increase in exercise or activity
- Warm ups and cool down • Appropriate footwear
- Adequate rehabilitation before recommencing sport
- Protective bracing or strapping
- Undertaking flexibility, balance, stretching and strengthening exercises
- Custom orthotics